Re: Duck Picture

Posted by Laszlo on Oct 12, 2007

Chris,

I'm not the expert, just the guy who took pictures and posted them. I'll bet that there's other builders who are farther ahead because they're using their time to build instead of post.

That being said, I wouldn't consider option c because glass gets its strength from long continuous fibers. Option b would work from a structural point of view, but it'd be hard to get it to look nice with a bright finish. Painted, it should work fine as long as you feather the edges.

Option a is the one I'd go with, but I'd apply the inside tape first before sanding the outside off. Just sand carefully. You need to get the old glass off without getting into the veneer. Stop & change paper frequently and watch out for the dust - it's going to have glass in it. Also, wipe the area with a wet rag (I'd use denatured alcohol instead of water because it'll evaporate quickly) every now and then so you can see how it'll look when the next coat of epoxy goes on later. Once it seems smooth and it looks good, you're done.

Good luck,

Laszlo

In Response to: Re: Duck Picture by chris on Oct 12, 2007

Replies: