flush hatches/ bungee

Posted by seth on Aug 2, 2007

I think I've decided that I want to install flush hatches on my Chesapeak 16LT using the bungee method ( http://www.clcboats.com/gallery/page-show.pl?type=show&id=45 ), but I'm a little nervous about it.

The plan I've devised right now, in the interest of time and laziness, is to cut the hatch opening about half an inch larger than it would be with traditional hatches, and use the hatch stiffener pieces that came with my kit to create the sill, then use the hatch doublers to create a lip on the sill. (Alternately, and this has just occured to me, maybe I could create the lip with a pastry bag of wood flour thickened epoxy, so it was shorter and would allow for truly flush hatch covers?)

Here are my questions: 1) Is there a reason this won't work? 2) Any tips/ feedback/ advice? 3) How do I cut the hatch openings so I can use the cut out piece as the cover and preserve teh grain? 4) Do I have to use the trapezoidal blocks, or can I just use leftover chunks of sheer clamp? 5) Can I use the hatch stiffeners on my hatch covers still, or will they be the wrong radius/ should I cut new ones?

Thanks, y'all.

here are some pictures of my progress so far.

Replies: