Re: AND a vacumn

Posted by Laszlo on May 4, 2007

The shinto rasp is the most versatile tool I've ever had for boatbuilding. With a little practice you can actually rasp off hardened epoxy drops without damaging the underlying wood. I used it to do all but the final shaping on my coaming. It smooths off the edges of freshly cut wood. If you'd rather not use a block plane, it'll shape the sheers almost as well (and good enough for thickened epoxy).

The Japanese saws cut wood with edges that are almost ready for varnish (OK, you need to practice a bit to be that good). Because they are so sharp they cut almost as quickly as power tools, but a lot quieter and no carbon footprint for operation. Being draw saws they give you incredible control. Straight square-edged cuts are routine after some practice. (Notice the common theme?).

The bonsai saw is great for precision cuts, like hatches. Again, sharp draw blades are the way to go.

I bought the spokeshave, and it's a nice one, but I ended up not using it because I built a carbon fiber mast instead of a wooden one.

A blockplane is a good useful tool as long as you keep it sharp. I already had a pretty good set of planes so I never tried the CLC version.

The shop vac is a must, especially with a hose which fits into the handle of your vacuum-equipped random orbital sander.

Have fun,

Laszlo

In Response to: Re: AND a vacumn by B. on May 4, 2007

Replies: