take a class, right?

Posted by Jay on Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, well I've always been a self taught kind of person. form blacksmithing(my profession) to wood working, etc. and I usually wait until I'm way over my head before I ask for assistance. Forgive me, it's just the way I'm wired.

I still am curious about the footbrace question, is this kayak too small for me? I easily meet the weight requirements for the 16, and I couldn't imagine the 17's cockpit really being too much bigger.

as for the wet exit/paddle float reentry, I researched and found a good primer to read online. another piece of equipment I guess i'll go pick up today.

as for the stability, should I load it down with some balast? Maybe an exta water bottle or two. what kind of combined burden should I be looking for to improve handling? More towards the back? or equally dispersed between the fore and aft hatches? I really don't want to be carrying around a bunch of stuff for a few+ hours paddling at times.

So, I will plan on taking a class. I need to learn how to roll. This has been a great learning experience for me, but a lot different than the wider cockpit designs that I've been around.

P.S.: I did indeed go for a bit of a swim the first time I tried to enter my kayak. A humbling experience at best, but I took it well.

Thx for any responses, Jay

In Response to: CH 16 sea trial Q's by Jay on Mar 17, 2007

Replies: