coaming process

Posted by Tom S on Mar 8, 2007

I'm a day or two away from starting the cockpit coaming on my CH18 and I really like the way Chris J did it on his plans-built 16's. If you haven't checked out his flickr site, go to the "jig for making scarfs" thread below and follow the link in Chris's post to his great set of photos. Basically, he put plastic wrap on his deck, then glued up the coaming spacers while clamped to the deck to create the right contour, then, once the epoxy was cured, took the spacers off the deck and cleaned them up, sanded, etc., so they wouldn't be so rough and clunky up under the coaming rim. Then he took the plastic wrap off, and proceeded to glue the spacers and rim in a fairly conventional (but really neat and pretty) manner.

So my question is: does anyone else have anything to say about this way of going about the coaming installation? Any pitfalls to look out for? Any big reason not to do this? Admittedly, it's a fair amount of extra work to clean up a part of the boat that only I will care about, but I'm willing to do it as long as I'm not walking into a quagmire.

Thanks, and I'll take my answer off the air.

Tom in Cape Charles

Replies: