Re: repairs

Posted by Robert N Pruden on Feb 15, 2007

Well, I can't believe my eyes...some one else who bangs up their boat badly while having fun with it. I think I am in love. Hee! Hee! I will respond to your keel issue. I paddle as year round as I can until the North Saskatchewan River freezes up solid. I habitually ram the kayak up and over ice pans, logs and whatever detritus gets in my way. I had the keel issue for two years. After the first year, I sanded the keels flat right into the wood until the flat surface was roughly 1/4" wide, then I added ash rub strips. The bow rub strip lasted one season. I then bought a 4' brass stem band, it is about 1/4" wide and a half round shape, flat on the bottom, removed the ash rub strip from the bow (what was left of it) , and screwed and glued the brass band onto the first 4' of the bow. Sure it added a wee bit of weight but I have absolutely no keep repairs now. The brass band has been there for three years now and it only looks better as it gets scratched more. I can fill you in on the details of how I installed it if you would like to know. Seems to me that the brass stem band is the way to go for you.

Robert N(o keel issues) Pruden

In Response to: repairs by Garagegirl on Feb 11, 2007

Replies: