CH18 glassing - yes!

Posted by Tom S on Jan 15, 2007

After much fretting, stewing and general consternation I jumped off the cliff tonight and glassed the outside of my nascent CH18. I'd draped the glass on the hull Friday and spent some time smoothing and worrying wrinkles and it really looked good before I started. Followed the book and as much advice as could glean from this forum and I'm happy to report that it went far, far better than I expected. I made a total of four batches of epoxy (10 pumps, 7, 7 and 5 - if I do this again it'll be 7, 7, 7, 5 or thereabouts)and used only plastic spreaders to apply it, no brushes or rollers for this first coat. The cloth is well wetted out and there are no bubbles that I can see, but there are no drips or shiny places either, so I think I got enough on but not too much. I can't decide whether to stay up late or get up early to trim the cloth hanging below the sheer strakes but either way I'm please with the results so far and I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's application of a filler coat.

Now, if some kind soul will tell me how, I'll post a photo or two of the work in progress.

Tom Saunders Cape Charles, VA

Replies: