Paddling the Sea Island

Posted by George K on Nov 24, 2006

Okay, took aout the Sea Island this morning and all I can say is, "Wow"! I mean, "Wow"! What a pleasure this thing is to paddle. I have paddled roto-molded SOT's and swore I'd never be caught dead in one again. I can't put into words what it was like to paddle this thing. First of all the seat from Seair Sports is adjustable five ways and I have to say this is by far the most comfortable kayak I've ever paddled. I love my WR 18 and it's pretty good in the comfort department. This thing beats it hands down. The pic is of my 82 year old father and the smile says it all. Second, this paddles more like a sea kayak than a SOT. The tracking is perfect, it's pretty quick, turns fairly well due to the goodly amount of rocker and is bone dry in the cockpit. You can see the water level near the top of the scupper hole but none comes in the boat. The wind was about 20 knots steady this morning and the boat handled it well. I can't really say weathercocking was a problem as the forward and rear decks are about equal height off the water. It was a bit hard to turn into the wind but the same is true in most boats I've paddled.

I have to tip the ol' hat to Nick Schade and CLC for making a SOT I won't mind being seen in. My wife has already asked me if she can trade her 17LT for this boat so I guess it'll stay in the family.

And in case you're wondering, I'm not getting a penny from CLC for raving about this boat! If you've got one ordered you're not going to be disappointed with the build or the paddling, I guarantee it!

George K

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-10/1221445/dad01_sot.jpg

More Pix

Replies: