Think of this as an....

Posted by J. Schott on Sep 20, 2006

opportunity to truly create beauty out of what seems to be a disaster. What has happened is that, you now have a reason to get creative. Fixing the damage is the easy part, making it a feature rather than a scar is the challenge.

Have you checked to see if there are any builders in your area to consult? Were you planning on a varnish or painted finish? The possibilities are endless as to what you can do hide a repair. As many have already stated. onlays are a great way to personalize your boat. Another option is to come up with a painted design to cover the repair but still show off the natural beauty of the wood.

There have been some great suggestions for the repair already. If I was in your situation, I would cut out the damaged wood on the deck and make patch panels. The back of the patches would need to be reinforced, my choice would be to apply a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth. Once the repair is made and a plan is formed to hide the patches, the deck needs to be protected/strengthened with a layer of 4oz. cloth. If you decide to do onlays, they need to be done before the cloth is applied.

I think I can speak for everyone here by saying that we are not going to let you give up. You have us as your "private technical support" group. If you need advice on onlays, I'm all yours. I've got a little experience in that area. If you are in Va. I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. I also have plenty of scraps if you need them. Good luck and keep us updated-Joey

P.S.- here is a sample of what can be done with onlays

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y261/ckayak17/deck%20renovation/045718.jpg

In Response to: Re: deck destroyed by Woodie on Sep 20, 2006

Replies: