Re: Gluing Coaming

Posted by Chris J. on Sep 19, 2006

Matt:

I used option 2 except I used plastic food wrap on the deck and lots of clamps. I worked really well. I was able to take the spacers off and used a nice sharp spokeshave to smooth the outside. I then glued and clamped the coaming to the spacers and to the boat. Again, the spokeshave was a greaty tool to smooth the inside "steps" quickly...but keep it sharp. As you mentioned, put some plastic in the boat to keep it clean. I also clipped the end off a stir stick to clean up the oozing epoxy before it hardened. I did this throughout the coaming building process.

I found another tip that helped me was strategically tapping a small finishing nail into the deck and into the deck beam. I then nipped the top off the nail so now I had a guide pin to use when placing the spacers and coaming back on the boat. It was always exactly in the predetermined place.

After all was together and sanded I applied 4oz. fabric on the coaming.

Of all the construction, I was most apprehensive about tackling the coaming. In the end it was easy and satisfying...but take your time shaping it to a work of art! Good luck

Chris

In Response to: Gluing Coaming by Matt Croce on Sep 19, 2006

Replies: