Re: My stupid ? o' the da

Posted by John Beck on Sep 19, 2006

Epoxy cures via an exothermic chemical reaction, where it creates its own heat, and the more confined the space the epoxy occupies the quicker the reaction proceeds. To retard the kick of the thickened epoxy mix spread it around in the mixing container over as much surface area as possible. For this reason I like to use big mixing pots (cool whip container) even for little batches so I can spread it very thinnly over the sides and bottom to maximize pot life. I use a tongue depressor to get the mix into the big end of the syringe (trying to suck it up is worthless). When you've finish filling holes and seams and the syringe is not empty, then empty it back into the mixing pot to keep it from kicking. Then refill later if the mix hasn't gone off yet. Prepare as much work as you can before mixing so all your time is spent applying epoxy. Have all your tools at the ready, and bodily functions taken care of before mixing. Always have an extra syringe ready to go if the first one is rendered useless because it kicked but you still have usable mix in the mixing pot.

Always empty the syringe when your done so you can reuse it. After it is completely cured (tomorrow) just wiggle the tip a little to break the bond/seal of the epoxy in the tip and pull out the plunger. Don't worry about the hardened epoxy on the seal of the plunger, it still works. For cheap disposable tools, like syringes, I think it is a waste of time and solvent to clean them. Eventually the syringe will be beyond reuse, but I routinely get dozens of events from a syringe.

For the pastry bag method work in small batches and refill as necessary.

Ambient temp certainly plays a role in both cases. The above safeguards may not even be required in a 50F garage, but I've seen pots of epoxy to heat up and begin smoking in the summer when compacted into a small mixing cup.

You'll learn, experience is a good teacher. Good luck, and I hope this helped.

John

In Response to: Re: My stupid ? o' the da by Jim E on Sep 19, 2006

Replies: