Starting Up Again

Posted by Matt Croce on Sep 6, 2006

Hi, everyone. I'm starting up construction again of my CH16; when I left (yet another overseas trip courtesy of Uncle Sam), I had the deck on, but not glassed yet.

I was wondering about the shelf life of epoxy as well; an earlier post cleared that up for me; thanks.

I have some slight water stains on the deck from where the deck got wet, either due to condensation, or water that made its way under the tarp; I'm hoping that the stains will lighten up enough when I sand it, and that the wood will darken enough when I 'glass it to make them un-noticeable.

OK, here's my question. I had built a couple of sawhorse type supports that supported the boat in nylon webbing, so that I could move it around and rotate it while I was sanding it. However, the elements, combined with non-pressure treated wood and poor construction (I was building for the short term, and this project ended up being a long term one) rendered them garbage.

Now I'm looking for some recommendations -- all of the commercial saw horses seem to have a solid bar on the top, instead of uprights from which I could suspend the boat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to buy something that will last, or if nothing is available, build something a bit better this time, that can be disassembled (I move a lot...) so that I can build my wife and my girls some kayaks without having to rebuild the supports every project. Any ideas?

Thanks, and I'm glad to be back working on the boat!

Matt

Replies: