Re: Arctic Hawk vs. CHes.

Posted by FrankP on Mar 3, 2006

Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, pick the boat, not the build time. The AH is purported to take about 50% longer than the Chessy will. Both are good boats, for different reasons, as you mentioned in your post. Both build times can also be modified by going more slowly in certain sections, or doing various activities in parallel. It doesn't have to take 70 hours to build a chessy, it's just that's how long it /should/ take if you do every step in order and don't really deviate from the manuals. If you "double up" on steps and do them simultaneously you can get your build time quite a bit lower than that. See Kurt Maurer for details though, as I've been building my boat for over two years and paddling it for about 6 months now and I'm still not finished.

I imagine you can cut the AH build time down to about 100 hours instead of the 120 or whatever the manual says. You'll have to be diligent about it. All that said, if it were me, build time really wouldn't play too much of a factor in the decision of which to buy.

FrankP

In Response to: Arctic Hawk vs. CHes. 17 by Tim Clark on Mar 2, 2006

Replies:

No Replies.