Re: Fiberglass scraps

Posted by Robert N Pruden on Feb 3, 2006

I don't mean to "teach" you anything but two years ago I split the skin on my knuckles and stictched myself. Can't remember how many stitches it took (counts scars...)...maybe five or six. The logic behind my move: if I ever get a bad cut while paddling along during my cross-Canada trek (North Saskatchewan River journey), there will be no one (like a doctor) around for me to get stitched up sooooo I decided to see if I could do it by myself. Hurt like hell stitching myself one-handed without a hemostat (plier-like gadget to grip suture firmly) but I got the hang of it eventually and did a fine ob using 18 guage sutures (used my teeth to complete the job). The hemostat makes the job far easier. If you ever head out on a trek that will take you far from help, carry 18 guage sutures just in case - they can make your comfort level significantly improved. Oh yeah, I did try those sticky sutures - they didn't work, blood or tension causes them to let go. Now you got me thinking: if I took copper wire along, I could S&G myself back together again. Always something new to think about.

Robert N Pruden

In Response to: Re: Fiberglass scraps by Peter on Feb 1, 2006

Replies: