C-17 Maiden Voyage

Posted by Chuck Rhodes on Dec 22, 2005

Wow, she floats! Took my Chesapeake 17 out to Back Bay State Park, Virginia (South of Virginia Beach) for her maiden voyage yesterday, 21 December. She awarded my on again, off again March - December 2005 building labor with great performance on the water. I am extremely pleased with her. She tracks like an arrow, turns easily, and paddles smoothly and with very little effort. I am definitely happy with her and all those kit building hours, sanding, painting, varnishing, etc. are well worth the effort. Being as how the airtemp was 39 degrees F. and water cold as well, it was dry suit weather for sure. Once suited up however, and under way was warm and toasty snug in the cockpit. I can hardly wait to get back out again too! My 21 year old son also tried her out and loved it. He wants one now too. Check out the following link for a complete photographic documentation of her being built and photos of her out on her maiden voyage yesterday.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/windnc1/album?.dir=/e012&.src=ph&.tok=phepXIEB20RsWjtG

Now I just have to get started building one for my wife!

Good paddling, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All.

Chuck

Chesapeake, Virginia

Chesapeake 17 Building Photographic Journal

Replies: