Re: Double Ender

Posted by Dave on Oct 15, 2005

Hi Brian -

Interesting question. Why do you want to have symmetrical design? Having no background in boat design - I'm just curious what this would add to the boat.

As far as CLC boats go - the front is much different from the back. The front is higher and the deck has much more curve then the back. Behind the cockpit the deck is close to being flat. I think (although I don't really know) that the flatter aft deck helps the boat a high wind. The part in the water is pretty different too. I'm not sure that a symmetrical design would handle very well, but what do I know!

As far as the plans go - I don't think there is anything that would get in the way of using the front design to the mid-point and then reversing it. The way the cockpit is designed, the coaming will bend over almost anything. The only real challenge would be the aft bulkhead. It would be in a different place (then symmetry would put the front bulkhead) - so you would have to custom shape it - not a really big deal.

As I say - I don't know much about boat design so don't know why you want to do this, but am assuming you have great reasons for it. I don't think there is much that would make it that hard to do just by reversing the plans at the midpoint.

As far as cutting the parts yourself - I've found the CLC designs to be quite forgiving for only semi-professional jigsaw work.

Let us know what you decide - I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

In Response to: Double Ender by Brian P on Oct 13, 2005

Replies: