Hull glasing pointers & ?

Posted by Mulepilot on Sep 24, 2005

After a tiny bit of additional sanding, I'll be ready to glass the exterior of the hull. Besides letting the cloth sit in place for a day or so to better take the shape of the hull, are there any other things I should do or be aware of? Up to this point I've been surprised by how well everything has turned out. I don't want to blow it now. I've got a bunch of spreaders that I plan on using. How tricky is this step? Am I to attempt to use the minimal amount of epoxy, just enough to turn the cloth clear and impregnate the entire cloth, and add more in a second application to make it smooth? Approximately how long does this procedure normally take, about an hour? Any common problems to be on the lookout for? Finally, a stupid sanding question...since the hull is covered with the cloth and epoxy, why is it important to get such a super smooth finish to the wood? Even though I plan on painting the hull, I still sanded down to 200 grit paper. It does look really nice, sort of hate to cover it up with the cloth and epoxy.

Thanks in advance,

Special Financing with Blispay

CLC's Fall Kit Sale