Re: Dynel strips

Posted by LeeG on Jun 28, 2005

Putting strips on a finished boat does stick out,,I think some British company has done the same with 2" wide poly tape over gel coat and it doesn't look any better. I put the stuff on the CLC demo boats because the sharp ends were worn through the one layer of 6oz glass into the wood and something was needed. The high wear areas are about 8" x 1/2" long in the bow and stern. So what you can do before glassing the hull is shaving the entry/exit of the bottom panels about 1/8" to make a little 1/4"-3/8" x 8" shelf. Then glass over that and add the 80/20 cabosil/woodflour mix forming it with alchol as it cures. I think the A.Hawk kit uses an 80/20 mix. It's probably six of one half dozen of the other whether the thick wear strip is added before/after glassing. Basically the high wear area needs something at least 1/8" thick,,that something could be anything but there's no reason to spend all that effort adding it on then fairing hard epoxy. If it's formed when wet then it's where it's needed and doesn't require fairing where it's not needed.

In Response to: Re: Dynel strips by Crystal on Jun 28, 2005

Replies: