Posted by Dick R on May 1, 2005

At last, I've seen whales from a kayak. A couple of days ago, I was at San Simeon, midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. There is a nice little harbor there, one of the few places along the 100 mile Big Sur coast where it is possible to put in. About a half-mile off-shore, I heard the unmistakable sound of a whale exhaling, and soon had them not more than two boat lengths away. One stuck her entire head out of the water and gave me a good looking over. A couple of times, there was boiling water just off my bow, causing me to back-paddle out of mild concern. A whale would exhale, stay surfaced for a few moments, then slide below the surface again. I would say there were 8-9 whales in the pod, on their way to Alaska after the calving and mating season in Baja California.

Today, I stopped along Route 1 just north of San Simeon to see the approximately 2000 elephant seals hauled out on the beach. I had a nice long discussion with a volunteer docent who filled in a lot of gaps in my knowledge of these creatures and much more besides. As I watched young males practicing for the real mating battles to come in a few years, several more gray whales were spotted about a quarter-mile off-shore.

Now you have good reason to finish building your kayak! Don't be too concerned about that pretty finish and get her in the water.

Special Financing with Blispay

CLC's Fall Kit Sale