Re: DEATH OF A KAYAKER

Posted by Robert N Pruden on Apr 29, 2005

ARTICLE STATES HE WAS FOUND UPSIDE DOWN STILL IN THE KAYAK...NO PFD NO SAFETY EQUIPMENT AT ALL...HE WENT OUT ALONE HAD NOT TOLD ANYONE WHERE HE WAS GOING.WAS ON CALM WATER LIGHT WIND NO WAVES AT ALL...HAD NO WAY TO GET HELP...

Charlie, we don't know what happened to cause him to be found dead in an upside down kayak, alone. In many cases like this, (read Deep trouble, Sea Kayaker Magazine), we never really learn teh truth, we are left with only speculation as to the cause of these kinds of incidents.

If, however, he was really upside down, then we can deduce that something caused him to tip and he didn't know how to get out and self-rescue. It is entirely possible that he had a heart attack or some other health problem that wasn't conducive to safe paddling. An autopsy can tell us more.

That said, the lesson to us is simple - don't get into a boat if you have health problems that can jeapordize your life, leave a travel plan plan with someone who knows when to expect you, paddle with a marine VHF radio that works so you can call for help if trouble occurs, know how to do a self-rescue and carry all equipment necessary for such a resue. Carry parachute flares if you get into trouble and use them if you need help.

On a more expensive note, carry an EPIRB so that if there is trouble, you can trigger the signal to attract the help of the Coast Guard or some other source of aid.

People die in kayaks for a reason: they get into a situation that is beyond their skills. Know thy limits and do not exceed them except in littel bits and pieces. Kayaking is inherently dangerous because it occurs on water that often moves by force of tide and wind. Adequate training is necessary for survival unless you are an adept athlete and a good swimmer. Age complicates matters, I should know, I'm feeling mine these days.

Robert N Pruden

Robert N Pruden

In Response to: Re: DEATH OF A KAYAKER by Charlie on Apr 21, 2005

Replies:

• Safety by Ice - Phil on Apr 30, 2005
    • Re: Phil? by Mac on Apr 30, 2005
      • Mac by Ice - Phil on May 1, 2005