Re: clc kayaks versus pyg

Posted by Kevin on Apr 25, 2005

Both companies have designed the absolute best kayaks on the water and will sell you plans. Save yourself a lot problems though and buy the kits. Figuring out how to assemble the boats and deal with epoxy are enough for a first boat. Does one company have a boat that is inherently flawed? Not that I've ever experienced or heard.

Comparing the two companies: CLC's tend to be less expensive with bulkheads and hatches installed. I also experience less leaking with CLC hatches. In fact, they tend to be air tight and difficult to open after a hot day because of the vacuum.

CLC's tend to be easier to build. The much better manuals and web site help also make building them easier.

CLC cockpit and cowling are easier to assemble and the keyhole shape to the CLC makes rolling easier. I can't roll my Coho because the cockpit cowling is too wide to keep my knees inside.

Pygmy's backband and seat cusion are the most comfortable setup I've ever sat in. Way more comfortable and provides enough room to store my thermos and emergency pack behind the seat.

I don't use wires to build my boats and the Pygmy's are much more impressive when finished bright. The scarf joints and uneven nails detract from the looks of a CLC boat.

In Response to: clc kayaks versus pygmy by james b on Apr 22, 2005

Replies: