Re: DEATH OF A KAYAKER

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Apr 15, 2005

"...HE WAS FOUND UPSIDE DOWN STILL IN THE KAYAK...NO PFD NO SAFETY EQUIPMENT AT ALL......"

Okay, I don't mean to sound cold hearted, and I'm just as serious about the need for learning kayaking skills as anyone... But I'm not sure this report accomplishes much, except to raise a question or two. Such as: was the poor guy already in a persistent vegetative state when he launched?

If anyone can flesh this story out, please do so. In the meantime, it serves more to dull the senses than do anything meaningful towards waking people up to the need for developing usable skills for rescuing one's self should one's self become a swimmer with a kayak bobbing merrily about nearby.

Can you imagine how ironic it would be to drown with a boat floating right next to you, but that you can't get into? Man, I'd have a hard time looking St. Pete in the eye on that one.

But before I sign off, I shall endeavor to do some good by saying once again, for the benefit of anyone who has not yet heard: Run, don't walk, to the nearest bookseller (Amazon.com), and obtain a copy of "Deep Trouble". It's a book full of sea kayaking accident reports. Not only is it highly educational (Saint Peter Himself only knows how many "incidents" it has averted), but is also a GREAT read!

Cheers, Kurt

In Response to: DEATH OF A KAYAKER by james bengough on Apr 15, 2005

Replies: