Major Screw Up?

Posted by Matt Croce on Mar 31, 2005

Okay, I am getting ready to go on a business trip for a couple of weeks, and since I am building in an open carport, I'm covering my "under construction" CH-16 with a tarp over a frame I built around the table. So, as I'm looking at the boat, which I just flipped over (keel up) for the first time since tabbing it and pulling the wires, I notice that there are two distinct humps in the keel line. The keel is perfectly straight as you look at it from the bow or stern, it just looks like a friggin camel... Okay, maybe not that bad, but I don't like it. To me it looks more like there is a flat spot right about in the middle of the boat, making it appear as though there are two humps. I didn't notice them when I wired the boat, nor when I did the winding; they may have been there, and I just didn't know what to look for (first boat) or I may have induced the error when I flipped the boat over to tab it, or who knows when...

In any case, how bad is this? I'll try and attach a picture to a follow up post, but it is fairly subtle, and my COX website is down right now, so I can't post it just yet. I'd estimate that the "wave height" (trough to peak) of the udulations in the keel is about 1/2" max.

I'm assuming there is no fix (keel is already epoxied), so I guess I'm into damage control...

Do I:

1. not worry about it, it will only drive me crazy and the boat should track straight anyway

B. try to plane down the humps a little when I round over the keel seam before I 'glass the hull

3) install something like a keel strip (sort of like a rub rail along the centerline of the boat) like I've seen done on Mill Creeks, compensating for the humps?

or

d. break out the lighter fluid, matches, and s'mores to torch the whole thing?

Thanks, Matt

Replies: