Re: sanding coats of epox

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Jan 20, 2005

I agree with the above, but will go ahead with my procedure anyway. I need the typing practice.

After laying down the glass, I hand sand with 80-grit before the first fill coat. Scraping also works, but I had a hell of a time finding a carbide scraper, and now that I finally have one, I still prefer sanding. Sigh.

Anyway, all I want at this point is a smooth ride for my squeegee. For the fill coat I slap on the goo thickly with a brush - plop! plop! plop! - then try like hell to scrape it all back off with the squeegee. Mix small batches of schmoo.

Those stupid little fake credit cards you get in the mail make excellent squeegees, by the way. Clean 'em with white vinegar after using, and they last forever. Rob Macks, of Laughing Loon Kayaks, recommends squeegees cut from plastic milk jugs. I like these floppy ones better'n the stiffer Bondo spreaders, but suit yourself.

As long as the squeegee doesn't hop over bumps, I don't worry with sanding (or scraping) until I have at least two fill coats on. Then I sand, and take pains to actually get into the cloth somewhere soon, so I know my depths, and what to look for, without any doubts. Losing a small spot of glass won't kill you.

Two fill coats ought to leave you with only spot coating to do in order to arrive at a varnish-ready surface. If it takes three, BFD. But if it's taking like six or seven coats, you just ain't sanding enough.

I put some pics of fill coat sanding on my website, check the link below. CLC also has a great article on same, right here at clcboats.com.

Finally, AMEN to Doug, and I'll repeat him: "Less epoxy...less weight you have to manhandle to a roof rack."

Cheers, Kurt

http://members.aol.com/mauair/images/7_2.jpg

Fill Coat Fairing

In Response to: Re: sanding coats of epox by Doug Judd on Jan 19, 2005

Replies:

No Replies.