Re: Paddle Weight?

Posted by FrankP on Oct 22, 2004

Good question. I have no idea of the answer though, because I don't have a scale, and I still have a little work to do on all of them. I need to shape the shaft and blades on my wooden paddle, and finish shaping the blades on my daughter's wooden paddle. Once that is finished I believe they will be comparable in weight to any commercial wooden paddle. So I'm guessing somewhere around 33-35 ounces. Obviously my daughter's will be substantially less weight since the blades aren't as large and the shaft is shorter.

I think the CF will likely come in a bit less than 30, but that is really a guess now, based on a comparison with the weight of the wood paddles. All the paddles have fairly small blades (mine are about 6" x 18" and Katie's are 5"x14") since I'm not really looking to crank distance or speed, and that will substantially decrease the weight I think.

I've found so far the biggest issue I have with the wooden paddles is the drastic feel that all the weight is in the blades. That makes for some tiring work, and I can see myself using the CF a lot (especially on longer trips) because of that. Most of the weight of the CF is actually in the shaft, so it's far less tiresome to swing.

FrankP

In Response to: Paddle Weight? by John Caldeira on Oct 22, 2004

Replies:

No Replies.