Re: sailrig modifications

Posted by Sailboy on Oct 15, 2004

I'm not sure what you have in mind, but remember that the mast puts a compression load on the mast step under some circumstances. The aka step/deck may not be strong enough. I would put a 'compression post' under the deck to transfer the load the boat structure. The mount the mast hinge on deck.

Dwyer makes a simple deck mounted mast hinge.

Check what you have for sails because some windsurfer types require mast bend to achieve proper shape. In that case you would be better off with an un-stayed freestanding spar. The latest CF stuff is ridiculously stiff and easy to step. I like this option better - simpler, lighter, uses the monocoque of the boat for strength. Fashion a deck plug for your mast-hole.

If you go with a forestay, consider running a wire-luff jib that doubles as your forestay. By adding top/bottom swivels you a have a furler. And I would route the stay up to the mast and down to a "magic box" or similar on the mast base. You'll need lots of leverage to get the stay tension right. I'd like to see what you come up with. Good luck. Sailboy

In Response to: sailrig modifications by Bobby on Oct 14, 2004

Replies: