Re: Thingee strips for st

Posted by Terry Mcadams on Sep 13, 2004

MIchelle:

Some thoughts below on installing brass strips that I've shared with other builders over the years.

Good Luck

terry

************************************************* I use a method used in wooden canoe and boat-building for over a hundred years. I use 3/8 brass half-oval strips, available by the foot from jamestowndistributors.com. I cut two pieces about 18" each for the stem and stern. I then drill each piece every two inches to accept �" brass #6 oval head wood screws. I then rough up the back and file or sand the ends to a flat taper. Lastly I bend one end of each piece to curve up the stem and stern an inch or so.

Next I pre-drill the holes along the keel, stem and stern to accept the screws. Then I lightly sand the keel where the strip will be mounted, apply some thickened epoxy to the strip and screw it on.

These strips last a LONG time, even in the rocky environment up in Canada where we use our boats. I actually think they add less weight than repeated applications of multiple layers of cloth, dynel, graphite or whatever, and look pretty good. They will eventually tarnish, but, if your very fastidious (I'm not) you could polish or sand off the tarnish.

One builder even suggested using the brass strips for rubrails. Certainly easier to install/maintain than a wooden rubrail. Maybe lighter also.

Any other questions, e-mail me.

terry

In Response to: Thingee strips for stems? by Michelle Moran on Sep 11, 2004

Replies: