Re: Bulkheads on angle?

Posted by TomS on Aug 27, 2004

1) Are they angled? Yup, the bulkheads are definitely angled. If you look at the blueprint, dimensions say bottom of bulkheads are 23" from bow and stern, tops are 17.5" The angling also shows in the side view, though not the specific Bevel.

2) Leeway in placing? You do have some leeway. The tops of the bulkheads are undeneath the decks, hiding that joint. Also, you'll put fillets all around for waterproofing, and these too can hide a multitude of sins. Don't be afraid to put plently of wires in so you can get the joints nice and snug before epoxying/filleting the joints. As part of the playing around, do check the fairness of the hull shape through the bulkheads - they should not "suck in" the sides leading to the bow/stern.

If I had mine to do over, I'd probably try the tack & fillet method to allow me to snip out those pesky little wires before final filleting. Also, see the latest shop notes for a good tip on making a "pastry bag" to squeeze out the schmoo when filleting - the bottom of these fillets show pretty prominently.

In Response to: Bulkheads on angle? by Michelle Moran on Aug 26, 2004

Replies: