Two at once!

Posted by RonC on Aug 4, 2004

Finally getting started on our next boat-building project(s). The re-construction project on the workshop that we started in March, that was only supposed to take 3-4 weeks, will finally be finished by this weekend. We�ll be able to move everything that has been stored on the one side of the shop back to where it belongs and get started!

My CH 18 has been sitting in it�s box since I ordered it in Dec. Game plan was to finish the wife�s CH 17, do the construction project and then start my CH 18. During the interim, the wife was at her hair dressers and the subject of kayaks came up, go figure, and the lady in the chair next to her says, �do you know anyone who might be interested in buying a kayak kit�? Turns out the woman�s husband had a Pygmy Golden Eye, still in the box, never been unpacked, complete with hatch kit and rudder kit! We talked to him in the phone and agreed on a price and he even delivered the kit.

Since I�ll be building a temporary table for the CH18, I figured that I may as well glue up the panels for both boats and more or less work on them both at the same time. We�re fortunate that we have enough covered space to do this.

Having built a MC 15 and a CH 17, we�re familiar with the ins and outs of the Chesapeake building process so the CH 18 should go pretty smoothly. On the other hand, the Pygmy building process while similar is different. If anyone has any experience with the Golden Eye and/or the construction process, any hints or advice will be appreciated.

Over the next few weeks/months I�ll post an on going narrative of the similarities and differences that I encounter between the two different kits.

Wish me luck!

Ron

Replies:

No Replies.