Builders' Forum Archives
Best way to thin varnish?
Posted by Melissa on Jul 20, 2004
I'm working on a record for the slowest boat building project (almost two years!), and my beautiful Arctic Hawk is just about finished! :-)
After four coats of varnish, I'm still a little bit unhappy with the results on the deck, and I think it may be because my varnish has become too thick. Even though I've been working quickly, the tipping out still leaves a noticable "layer effect" when each new section is joined with the previous.
I'm hoping that if I can thin the varnish a bit, I can put one more coat on, and this time, the sections will blend together more smoothly. Do I have the right idea here? If so, what's the best way to thin the varnish? By the way, it's "Z-Spar Captain's Varnish".
Everyone told me to save my moaning chair for the varnishing stage...and they were right! :-)
Thanks for any varnish thinning tips you can offer!
- I use mineral spirits by Charlie Jones on Jul 20, 2004
- Re: Best way to thin varn by Terry Mcadams on Jul 21, 2004
- Re: Best way to thin varn by Bill Dodson on Jul 21, 2004
- Re: Best way to thin varn by Chris Taylor on Jul 22, 2004
- Re: Best way to thin varn by Terry Mcadams on Jul 22, 2004