Re: Hybrids?

Posted by Kurt Maurer on Jul 13, 2004

Hot dog, you get replies from TWO Kurts!! Life is sweet, hey??

What Kurt said. No, not me, him. To expand on his remarks, the other Kurt's that is, half the reason of going the strip-built route is that you get a ton more options for the finished hull and/or deck shape. You can only do so much with plywood, but dangnear anything is possible with strips.

One of the things I do not like about tortured plywood decks is that you end up with more volume than you really want or need because the camber must go almost, if not entirely, all the way up to the bow. And volume equates to windage. And windage equates to a PITA when out and about.

To be perfectly clear (I hope): I like a deck to follow the sheer line until the last possible moment, when it must rise to accomodate the paddler and his feet. Like an Arctic Hawk, sort of. Greenland style, y' know?

Also, the cross-section of the boat at the feet part of the cockpit can rise abruptly from the sheer line, then kinda elliptically flatten out in the center of the "arch". This makes room for the feet without adding unnecessary room for nothing in particular in the middle.

Besides, curves are sexy, and lotsa curves are sexier still. But make no mistake about it: hybrid construction has more than just looks going for it.

Cheers, Kurt

The other Kurt, that is.

http://members.aol.com/mauair/images/13_3.jpg

Cormorant 16 Hybrid Project

In Response to: Re: Hybrids? by Kurt Loup on Jul 13, 2004

Replies: