Re: tractor paint!...here

Posted by Peter Lyons on May 19, 2004

Hi Tom!

I'd actually purchased the yacht paint and primer from CLC, but have decided to return it (for $50 credit) and go with tractor paint instead after noting in a recent issue of WoodenBoat (in the Launchings section) that Scottish Designer Iain Oughtred used the stuff on a boat he built for himself! I figger if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me. Plus, I can get the store brand locally at Farm & Fleet for $7/quart. I know I'll need to sand and put on another coat occasionally anyway, to fill in the ineviteable scratches and gouges.

On the can it identifies itself as "Premium Heavy Duty Tractor and Implement Enamel". It claims to be "anti-rust (whew!), high gloss, abrasion resistant, and good on metal and wood". Ingredients are listed as mineral spirits, alkyd resin (listed twice?), titanium dioxide, kaolin, and ethylbenzene.

I found a post on one farming website claiming that most store brands of tractor paint are made by Valspar. This fellow claimed that it's not exactly the same formula as you would get if you were to go to an actual implement store (say, a John Deere shop). Anyhow, I doubt I'll ever notice any difference. Another kayak builder, Robert Pruden, says he's had very good luck with Tremclad Rust Paint (apparently a Canadian equivalent of Rustoleum). I figure this stuff should be at least as durable, if not more. I'll let you know how it goes!

In Response to: tractor paint!...heresy! by Tom Anderson on May 19, 2004

Replies: